We Still Build The Original Greene & Greene Ganble House Doors In The Same Hand And Materials In America 1913
Gamble House Arts & Craftsman Doors – Hand Crafted Glass Work – Better Improved From Our Build in 1900 – Fine Art Entrance Door – 3″- 4″ thick – Complicated Joinery – Castle Doors Are The Original Security Doors – Built To Twice Hurricane Code World Wide – Virtually Maintenance Free – Hand Forged Wrought Iron – We Build Doors Any Size – Shown – Fine Art Entrance Door – 3″ – 4″ Thick – Historic Design – Solid American Cedar Cypress (Not Kiln Force Dried) (renewable resource timber) – Original Craft, Not Reproduction Made In The Same Hand And Materials As The Original – Designed From The Historic Record – Hand Hewn, Mortise And Tenon Joined (means master hand crafted – not fast process glue up and press)
Historical Origin And Design Inspiration
The Gamble House, also known as David B. Gamble House, (constructed 1908 – 1909) is a National Historic Landmark and museum in Pasadena, California, USA. It was designed by the architectural firm Greene and Greene, brothers Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene, as a home for David B. Gamble of the Procter & Gamble company. Originally intended as a winter residence for David and Mary Gamble, the three-story Gamble House is a residential ark commonly described as America’s Arts and Crafts masterpiece, whose style shows influence from traditional Japanese aesthetics and a certain California spaciousness born of available land and a permissive climate. Arts-and-Crafts architecture was focused on the use of natural materials, attention to detail, aesthetics, and craftsmanship.
History David and Mary Gamble lived in the house during the winter months until their deaths in 1923 and 1929, respectively. Julia (Mary’s younger sister) lived in the house until her death in 1943. Cecil Huggins Gamble and his wife Louise Gibbs Gamble lived in the house beginning in 1946 and briefly considered selling it. They soon changed their minds, however, when prospective buyers spoke of painting the interior teak and mahogany woodwork white. The Gambles realized the artistic importance of the house and it remained in the Gamble family until 1966, when it was deeded to the city of Pasadena in a joint agreement with the University of Southern California School of Architecture.