Arched Wood Door with Portal Window
We offer custom hand built, all American, solid wood doors in any size, style and finish for residential and commercial applications. Interior and exterior doors all include hand forged, solid wrought iron hardware, both simple and elaborate design styles available. Design your solid wood door with windows, portals, sidelights, transom or a speakeasy and custom grill. Contact one of the design engineers at Scottsdale Art Factory to discuss your solid wood door project at 1-800-292-0008.
“when everything made in America was built to last forever”
and craftsmen were proud to sign their work.
Make a statement about your accomplishments and personality with an American made, solid wood door from Scottsdale Art Factory. We hand build all wood doors out of the highest quality wood and iron available, using old world, hand crafted techniques, and hand rubbed finishes to ensure your custom door lasts for generations. Request a consultation and discuss your entry door requirements with us, and together we can create a family heirloom quality furnishing for your home or office.
Solid Wood Door Options
- Size – any size door, shape, structural jamb
- Style – wood, design, hand carvings, decorative accents
- Finishes – over 400 colors of hand applied stains and finishes
- Panels – windows, grills, door straps, inlays, clavos, sidelights
- Glass – stained, thermal, energy efficient, decorative, protective
- Hardware – hand forged wroght iron handles, latches, hinges, grills
- Learn more about our custom door options
Arched Door – Hand Carved Gothic Arch Inspired Designer Entrance
This eleven-foot solid wood arched top door features five hand forged, wrought iron, heavy duty hinges to support the solid 4″ thick handcrafted entry door. Our master woodworkers created this hand hewn, mortise and tenon joined, hand made door from solid, full length cedar cypress wood. They hand carved the Flamboyant Arch design inspired by 13th century Gothic cathedrals into the top portion of the door for an elegant design element, and to showcase the height and beauty of this custom door. The arched door features a portal window with arched top for continuity of design, with decorative privacy glass and wrought iron grill for security. All hardware is custom hand forged by master blacksmiths at Scottsdale Art Factory from solid wrought iron. The designer wood door includes an adjustable roller style door latch closure, heavy duty hinges, a mechanical door sweep, and all weather seals.
Custom Built Wood Doors feature:
- American hand made solid wood doors
- Solid, full length timber, air dried (never kiln dried), cedar/cypress
- Custom solid wood door, handcrafted by hand hewn mortise and tenon joints
- Pre-hung structural 3″ thick door jamb with 1″ seal face stop (double thermal seal)
- Self-closing, heavy duty tension adjustable hinges
- Adjustable tension roller style door latch closure
- Self-lifting, heavy duty mechanical door sweep
- Heavy duty, crush proof threshold with adjustable saddle
- Hand rubbed, 10 process finish on all custom wood doors
- Solid hand forged wrought iron hardware – no hollow iron or fake castings
- Available in any wood types, stain and patina finishes
- Built in the original craft – not reproduction
- Order any size or style doors custom designed for your residential or commercial space
- Available in solid wood front doors, grills, and glass door fronts
- All custom interior and exterior doors are guaranteed forever – backed by over a century of fine craftsmanship
At Scottsdale Art Factory we have been hand crafting wood doors, iron gates, furniture, lighting and fine art furnishings using only use the best quality materials and all American workforce of master craftsmen since 1913. Built the old fashioned way “when everything made in America was built to last forever” and craftsmen were proud to sign their work. All structural frames on our custom wood doors are build using solid, air dried, natural, full length timber – no veneers, laminates, or glued up scarf joints. Our craftsmanship ensures your solid wood custom door will stand the test of time, and all handcrafted doors and furnishings are Guaranteed Forever, backed by over a century of fine craftsmanship. Call us to discuss your wood door designs and project at 1-800-292-0008.
Wood Door Architectural Design History
This custom wood door design was inspired by the Gothic Flamboyant Arch architectural style used in the 13th century Cathedral of Limoges in France. The pointed arch is a dominant characteristic of Gothic architecture, which originated in 12th-century France and lasted into the 16th-century. This familiar style of architecture is found in many European cathedrals, churches, abbeys, castles, and palaces. Gothic is a late medieval period architectural style which included the rib vault, flying/buttresses, large window groupings, window tracery, rose windows, ornate facades, pinnacles, spires, and towers (all pointed arches). The Flamboyant Arch of the Gothic period is drafted from four points, the upper part of each main arc turn upwards into a smaller arc and meet at a sharp, flame-like point. The form is structurally weak, so is often used in window tracery and surface decoration.
Saint Etienne Cathedral in Limoges, France. Roman Catholic cathedral in Gothic style constructed in 1273
Features the Ogee arch, Flamboyant arch architectural design elements. – courtesy wikipedia.org
Some of the most famous window tracery in Europe use the Flamboyant Arch design. This style can be seen throughout Europe in the York Mister, Carlisle Cathedral, and Selby Abbey in England and in Italy the Milan Cathedral. French architecture also used the Gothic flamboyant arch design at St. Stephen’s in Vienna, Sainte Chapelle in Paris, and the Cathedrals of Rouen and Limoges.
From the Dictionary of French Architecture from 11th to 16th Century (1856) by Eugene Viollet-le-Duc (1814-1879).
Illustration of Limoges Cathedral, France – courtesy wikipedia.org
The arch name, Flamboyant, is derived from the flame-like windings of its tracery and the dramatic lengthening of arch tops and gables used in architectural design elements on these Gothic style cathedrals. The key feature is the ogee arch, used from 1320 to 1350, is a curve shaped like an S, with two arcs curving in opposite directions with the tangential ends. In architecture, the arch is composed of two ogees, meeting at an apex when mirrored left-to-right. Originating in Beverly Minster church of England, they were a predominant feature of late 13th-century English Gothic architecture.
Flamboyant Arch design on Scottsdale Art Factory custom wood door