Standard Oil Gas Station Sign
A rare original SOCONY Gasoline sign from the early 1900s for Standard Oil Company of New York. The genuine antique sign was used prior to the Socony-Vacuum Oil partnership of 1931. This porcelain sign is single sided and curved to fit an antique gas pump and features the wording “SOCONY GASOLINE” in red along the middle of the sign, with the words “Uniform Quality” in blue above and “Best Results” in blue below showcased on a white background with a blue outline around the edges of this old gas station sign.
Condition – Original, as is, see photos – not restored, and not a reproduction
Dimensions – 7 1/2″ x 11 1/2″
Rare vintage gas station sign for Standard Oil Company of New York, Sonony, founded in 1882 as the administrative division of Standard Oil.
Old Gas Station Sign Specifications:
- Type: Porcelain single sided sign
- Company: Standard Oil Company of New York
- Product: Socony Gasoline
- Era: 1915-1922
- Color: White, red, and blue
- Dimensions: 7.5″ T x 11.5″ W
- Condition: Original, as-is, see photos for details
All vintage gas statioin memorabilia offered are genuine collectables and appreciable assets, not a fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us to order vintage Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectables at 1-800-292-0008.
Collectable Oil Signs and Vintage Restorations information:
Antique Gas Station Signs and Collectable Memorabilia
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. We always have a waiting list for most items. We suggest if you are looking for a specific collectable, please ask to be placed on our first-come, first-served list. (Refundable deposit required.) Call us at 1-800-292-0008.
Standard Oil Company – Gas and Oil Company History
Mobil (Socony, Vacuum Oil, Magnolia Petroleum, Gargoyle) – Standard Oil Company of New York, Socony, was founded in 1882 as the administrative divions of Standard Oil. In 1918 they purchased Magnolia Petroleum and General Petroleum in 1926, and restarted oil exploration after the breakup of Standard in 1911 left Socony without crude oil. When Socony partnered with Vacuum Oil in 1931, they used Vacuum’s “Mobilgas” flying horse trademark. They replaced the Magnolia brand with Mobilgas in 1934, and by the end of WWII they expanded the Mobilgas brand name to all affiliated companies. In 1962 Mobilgas was replaced with Mobil as the brand. They renamed the company in 1955 to Socony-Mobil, and Mobil Oil Company in 1966.