Antique Gas Pump Gilbarco T-176 Visible Pump
Texaco – This is an original Gilbert & Barker Visible Gas Pump circa 1918 that we completely restored – to better than original. All parts on this antique gas pump are original, historically correct, and in full working order. All brass parts on this restored Texaco gas pump are solid polished original brass. This old gas station pump features the rare – collector preferred “Milk Glass” gas globe – an original milk glass globe from the 1920s era for Texaco. The petroliana signs on this restored pump are porcelain from the same era (no fake foreign made parts or signs used). All hand pump internal parts have been polished and rebuilt. Contact ArtFactory.com and order your vintage American gas pump restored to this level of expert master craftsmanship – in any color scheme and gas station brand.
All antique gas pumps, vintage memorabilia, automobilia, and petroliana available from ArtFactory.com are real collectable appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All new items are hand crafted in the same hand and materials as it was done in its era “When Things Were Made in America to Last Forever”. If we say “Restored” we mean complete restoration to its original production offering in its era. If we say “Restormod” we mean exact copy with some improved modifications or customizations. All items are collectable fine art at the highest world class collector level.
Antique Gas Pumps Available in Any Color Scheme & Gas Station Brands
Texaco Gas Pump – Specifications:
- Gas Company: Texaco (globe c.1920s)
- Make/Model: Gilbert & Barker T-176 10-Gallon Visible Pump
- Era: 1918-1920s
- Color: Red, white, black, and green
- Height: 101 3/4″ (without globe)
- Base Diameter: 20″
- Condition: Antique/Restored museum quality and historical correct
- Notable Features:
Original milk glass globe light with two Texaco milk glass advertising inserts. G&B double action piston hand pump model with original blue tinted glass 10 gallon tank.
Gilbert & Barker T-176 Visible Gas Pump
This is an original Gilbert & Barker T-176 Visible Gas Pump, circa 1918-1920s. This vintage gas pump is the improved sight measure nozzle control visible pump T-176 model that features the progressive method of delivery, semaphore signal (“To Car” or “To Storage”), G&B double action piston pumping unit with padlock, and accurate measure with two sets of quality markers inside the 10 gallon genuine NULTRA Solex (sun filtering) glass cylinder.
We are the oldest and largest restorer of fine art, museum quality, historically correct antiques and supplier of genuine investment quality un-restored classic Americana (namely signs). Museum Quality Historically Correct means a world class restoration that preserves all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patina, ect. with non structural damage. All age wear and tear is proudly displayed, when possible, on signage and gas pump globes. Contact the Art Factory for information on restoring your antique gas pumps at 1-800-292-0008.
Antique Gas Pump Restorations by ArtFactory.com – Museum Quality
- All brass parts are solid polished original brass
- Rare collectors preferred original “Milk Glass” globe
- All sign-age is correct porcelain original era material (no fake foreign made parts or signs used)
- All internals have been polished and rebuilt
- Pump is in working order
- Backed by a century of fine craftsmanship since 1913
American Restoration of Antique Petroliana
Texaco Gas Station Pumps – Historical Facts
Texaco (“The Texas Company”) is the name of an American oil retail brand. Its flagship product is its fuel, “Texaco with Techron”. It also owns the Havoline motor oil brand. Texaco was an independent company until it merged into Chevron Corporation in 2001.
It began as the Texas Fuel Company, founded in 1901 in Beaumont, Texas, by Joseph S. Cullinan, Thomas J. Donoghue, Walter Benona Sharp, and Arnold Schlaet upon discovery of oil at Spindletop. For many years, Texaco was the only company selling gasoline under the same brand name in all 50 states as well as Canada, making it the most truly national brand among its competitors. Its current logo features a white star in a red circle (a reference to the lone star of Texas), leading to the long-running advertising jingles “You can trust your car to the man who wears the star” and “Star of the American Road.” The company was headquartered in Harrison, New York, near White Plains, prior to the merger.
1901 – Founded in Beaumont, Texas. Known as the Texas Fuel Company.
1928 ? Texaco becomes the first U.S. oil company to sell its gasoline nationwide under one single brand name in all 48 states (50 states after Alaska and Hawaii joined the Union in 1959).
1931 ? The Texas Company (Texaco’s corporate name) purchases Indian Oil Company, based in Illinois, a move that expands Texaco’s refining and marketing base in the Midwest and also gives Texaco the rights to Indian’s manufacturing processes of Havoline “Wax Free” motor oil, which becomes a Texaco product and provides the company with a higher-quality motor oil product.
1932 ? Texaco introduces Fire Chief gasoline nationwide, a motor fuel that meets the octane requirements for fire engines, and promotes it through a radio program over NBC hosted by Ed Wynn, the “Texaco Fire Chief.”
1937 ? Texaco commissions industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague to develop a modern service station design. The resulting “Teague” Texaco station design is a functional white building with green trimmings featuring one or more service bays for “Washing”, “Marfak Lubrication”, etc., an office area with large plate glass window for display of tires, batteries, and accessories, along with “Men” and “Ladies” restrooms featuring Texaco-green tile walls and floors. The Teague station design is typically built of white porcelain tile but local and regional variations could include painted brick, concrete brick, and stucco materials. Other features include red Texaco stars on the upper facade on outer side-walls and above the service bays, and red lettering spelling out “TEXACO” above the office area. Stations are identified by the street from Texaco’s “banjo” sign.
1938 ? Texaco introduces Sky Chief gasoline, a premium grade fuel developed from the ground up as a high-octane gasoline rather than just an ethylized regular product. Sky Chief is dispensed from a silver gas pump in contrast with the red pump used for Fire Chief gasoline – a move that lasts many years until the early 1960s.
1939 ? Texaco becomes one of the first oil companies to introduce a “Registered Rest Room” program to ensure that restroom facilities at all Texaco stations nationwide maintained a standard level of cleanliness to the motoring public. The “Registered Rest Room” program is later copied by other oil companies and continued at Texaco until the energy crises of the 1970s.
1954 – Texaco adds the detergent additive Petrox to its “Sky Chief” gasoline, which was also souped up with higher octane to meet the antiknock needs of new cars with high-compression engines. A new plant was built in Port Arthur, Texas specifically to manufacture Petrox.
1956-1959 ? The Texas Company changes its corporate name to Texaco, Inc. to better reflect the value of the Texaco brand name, which represented the biggest selling gasoline brand in the U.S. and only marketer selling gasoline under one brand name in all 50 states.
1961 ? Texaco introduces the “The Man who wears the Star” campaign with the “Texaco Star Theme” written by W.A. Fredricks. Both Fire Chief and Sky Chief gasolines are promoted as “Climate Controlled” as various blends of both gasolines are distributed to Texaco stations in various parts of the country.
1964 ? Texaco introduces the “Matawan” service station design at a station in Matawan, New Jersey. Features include mansard roofing design, service bays moved to the side of station and sheetrock covering over most exterior walls.
1966 ? Texaco replaces the long-running banjo sign with a new hexagon logo that had previously been test-marketed with the “Matawan” station design introduced two years earlier. The new logo featured red outline with TEXACO in black bold lettering and small banjo logo with red star and green T at bottom. Texaco also enters agreement with Howard Johnson’s for Texaco credit card to be honored for charging of lodging and food at Howard Johnson motor lodges, a widespread trend of the time among major oil companies that would last until the 1973 oil crisis.
1970 ? In response to increasingly stringent federal emission standards that would ultimately lead to mandating of unleaded gasoline in 1975 and later-model cars and trucks, Texaco introduced Lead-free Texaco as the first regular-octane lead-free gasoline at stations in the Los Angeles area and throughout Southern California. Lead-free Texaco would become available nationwide in 1974, in time for the introduction of 1975-model vehicles.
1987 ? Texaco files for bankruptcy; company continues trading under protection of U.S. bankruptcy laws.
2002 – Chevron Corporation merged with Texaco and Shell purchased Texaco’s interest in the Equilon and Motiva joint ventures.
2003 – Shell began converting its Texaco stations to the Shell brand the next year.
2004 – Chevron regained non-exclusive rights to the Texaco brand name in the U.S.
2005 – Texaco introduced the Techron additive into its fuels in the U.S. and parts of Latin America.